Monday, September 18, 2006

Remembering RENT

It rarely gets mentioned or talked about anymore, perhaps because 10 years have gone by..perhaps parts of it seem outdated today...perhaps because the subject matter is too dark at times. But while listening to the Original Cast Broadway Highlights in my car the other dayI couldn't help but feel some intense emotions (I think you would have to be almost dead inside NOT to get somewhat emotionally stirred by the music). I know things aren't as grim today as they were in the mid-90's (and I was never affected by any loss of friends to AIDS), but I think it's still important to remember what life was like for HIV-positive gay men before protease inhibitors came along (if for nothing more than to appreciate the advances that have been made in the decade since). Anyway,....I just felt like saying that, for what its worth.

3 Comments:

Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

When Rent came out, it was considered so revolutionary and radical. Some of the storyline is dated, but it's still powerful.

8:39 PM  
Blogger ricke17 said...

Hi Sean,

I am a Renthead - I am from London, England and have seen it in the west end about 30 times and came over to New York in 2003 to see it on Broadway.

Rick

11:43 AM  
Blogger Sean Storm said...

I saw RENT at the Fox in St Louis, too. AWESOME!

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home