Sunday, November 05, 2006

Review: MARIE ANTOINETTE

Now THIS is the kind of period piece type of movie that I can enjoy. What makes Sofia Coppola's film so unique is that it juxtaposes the etiquette of the time period with music from the 80's, and the result is surprisingly effective. For most of the film, MARIE ANTOINETTE is treated as a whimsical comedy, with Kristen Dunst and Jason Schwartzman speaking with their own American accents. One of my favorite moments is when the decandent cookies, pies, pastries and whatnot of the day are presented MTV-style to the tune of Bow Wow Wow's I WANT CANDY. This is an indie art ful (that was booed when screened at Cannes earlier this year), and as such I have to grade it on those merits. Maybe it's not as refined or polished as a big studio commercial film might be, but therein lies more of the charm of this underdog. I guess you either will love it or loathe it. I loved it. A-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home