Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My Favorite Network

Ever since the 80s I have been a supporter of NBC (Family Ties, Cheers, Seinfeld, Golden Girls, Spencer, Facts of Life, Friends, Just Shoot Me, The Naked Truth, The Single Guy, 227, Amen, Empty Nest, Night Court, Newsradio, Jesse, Will & Grace, ALF, Frasier - and those are just the comedies!). So it was heartbreaking went NBC went from #1 to #4 in the last 3 years. I realize that these things are cyclical and that NBC will be #1 again one day (and comedies will be number one again one day, too). Until then, though, I have to look at what's on television these days (and which network is entertaining me the most): and that network is the Alphabet network! My three favorite shows are all on ABC (LOST, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, and my newest guilty pleasure: UGLY BETTY). And though I don't watch, GREY'S ANATOMY and DANCING WITH THE STARS are tearing up the charts. Plus, BROTHERS & SISTERS is good and THE NINE looks promising. Some weak spots are the traditional 30-minute comedies (but this is true with all the networks): HELP ME HELP YOU is just average, and THE KNIGHTS OF PROSPERITY, NOTES FROM THE UNDERBELLY and BIG DAY have all been shelved until they can be properly be showcased. ABC also has some serious weaknesses on Mondays (WIFE SWAP, SUPERNANNY and WHAT ABOUT BRIAN) and Fridays (MEN IN TREES). But overall ABC keeps building a few really strong hits each year and I am loving that. As for NBC, they have some really quality new shows (STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP, KIDNAPPED and FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS) - but the shows aren't delivering the ratings. The bright spot, though, is the addicting HEROES. NBC is now starting to rely on game shows (DEAL OR NO DEAL and 1 VS 100) to bring the viewers in. I just hope NBC can downsize the procedurals and start tackling some more quirky inventive shows. Until then, ABC is now my Must See TV!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mikey said...

ABC is my top right now. I do not get much time to watch TV right now with school, but most of the shows I watch are on ABC.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home