Sunday, October 01, 2006

LOST TREASURE: DEAD LIKE ME

Sometimes TV is sooooo good that it's destined to be canceled (i.e.: FREAKS & GEEKS, WONDERFALLS, GREG THE BUNNY). And so goes the tale of the brilliant (but cancelled) DEAD LIKE ME. DLM lasted two seasons on SHOWTIME. It's a series that is the very definition of dark humor. In it, our main character George is killed off by a toilet seat falling out of the clouds. She becomes a grim reaper: the newest addition to a group of grim reapers who have to give the bad news to the recently deceased before accumulating "x" number of souls before they themselves can pass on to the next stage (whatever that stage may be). Complicating things are pesky little gravelings that show up and set things in motion. Trust me, you don't want to piss off a graveling. This show is also airing in repeats on Sci-Fi, though much watered down. You will want the DVD version instead because that's where you can get away with F words and bare butts (the lead male had to bend over in episode 4, drop trou and have his manhole manchecked for drugs). If you are a fan of Quality TV, DEAD LIKE ME is worth a look. A-

4 Comments:

Blogger Mikey said...

I watch the reruns every Monday night on Showcase!

11:43 AM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

DLM was way cool. I wish I got Showcase like Mikey. Maybe I can get the DVD's.

4:06 PM  
Blogger abnitude said...

i was so disappointed when dead like me was cancelled. it was one of the true gems on tv. it was awful when we lost dead like me and carnivale...both great storile that were left in limbo.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Sean Storm said...

I agree with abnitude. It's evil when networks do not justice to a series by canceling it without a resolution. Sure, on one hand its really all about making revenue through advertising dollars that keep shows on the air. But with TV ON DVD such a HUGE deal these days, I think it's beneficial for networks to bring SOME kind of closure to any series if it is to go on to DVD. Without having a 'complete' resolution, I get pissed off. That is the main reason why I wont buy INVASION on DVD. It lasted a year on TV. My bad for not watching it then, but if I KNEW it had a resolution (it does not) I would give ABC and the producers of the show my money by buying the Complete Series on DVD. Since there is no resolution, I dont want to waste my time following a program that I know doesnt have a real end. And dont even get me started on how Fox TV handled the year-long murder mystery REUNION last year. What a slap to the face to those fans who followed each week only to see it get axed, and that the network didnt even shoot an extra episdoe to reveal who the murderer was.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home