Wednesday, January 31, 2007

PAN'S LABYRINTH

Thank you, Clint Eastwood! By entering your foreign langueage film LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA into the Best Film Oscar category, you have given PAN'S LABYRINTH it's best shot yet of winning in the Best Foreign Language Film category. I was enthralled by PAN in the theater. It is a beautiful adult fantasy tale, albeit a violent one more often than not. By juxtaposing the violence with the fantasy, viewers are left on edge...which makes the fantasy elements all the more wonderous when they show up on screen. I am not a huge fan of war violence, and PAN has plenty of death. But the film stands strong on the fantasy...in fact, one of the creepiest moments is the little heroine being chased by The Pale Face creature. TRULY SPOOKY - yet beautiful at the same time. Go 'PAN'!!!!! I'll be rootin' for ya' on The Big Night! A-

5 Comments:

Blogger KingRoper said...

Now, on this one I'm in total agreement! For once, a fantasy film that doesn't shy away from horror... I want to see it again, and this time I may keep my eyes open!

We're still talking about it... been a long time since I've seen a film that provokes such discussion afterwards.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Mikey said...

Another one to add to the already long list!! I need to finish school just to watch movies again!!

12:31 PM  
Blogger davidfl said...

I really enjoyed it also. It was the perfect mix of creepy and fantastic, scary and sentimental. The monsters were not just in her head but the soldiers around her and the lowest servants were the most heroic.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Sean Storm said...

Hey davidfl

(and others who have seen PAN'S):

Do you think the fantasy elements were all inside Ofelia's head? The film leaves it open where it could go either way, except that when Ofelia is in the labrynth the walls open up at one point and allow her to escape from Sir Evil (Pardon me, but I cant think of the character's name off-hand). Then the walls close back up just as Sir Evil rounds the corner. If it were all a fantasy in her head, explain the walls opening up. [Sorry, but a part of me wants to believe that she really IS the princess of the underground] ;-)

7:33 AM  
Blogger Sean Storm said...

kingroper

Regarding your comment: "been a long time since I've seen a film that provokes such discussion afterwards."

Have you seen CHILDREN OF MEN yet (with Clive Owen and Julianne Moore)? I have not, but supposedly it, too, has image and commentary that will provoke discussion afterward, too.

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home