Saturday, June 03, 2006

MOVIE REVIEW: X-MEN: THE LAST STAND

I am a big fan of THE X-MEN, mainly because I see the theme of homosexuality running throughout them...and also because there are a lot of hot mutants out there. So this third entry in the popular series was an eagerly anticipated one. BUT DAMN IF I WASN'T LET DOWN with this. I really don't want to spoil things for anyone, but MUTANTS DIE IN THIS ONE. ANd not just minor ones, but MAJOR ONES. So what I hoped would be a rip-roaring, fun, enjoyable film instead turned into a nightmare of sorts. And I have to say, when I left the theater I was depressed. It's never easy to see characters you love bite the dust.... I know, that's life. But its not what I want to see in a movie like this. I dont want to see STRONG characters end up losing all their powers by the end of the movie, or worse, dead. I also thought the special effects sucked, and for some reason the movie seemed way too short. But maybe that's a good thing. Because if the film ran any longer, maybe even my favorite mutant ICEMAN would have croaked too. C

3 Comments:

Blogger Milamber said...

sean, don't know if you ever followed the x-men comics, but x-men die and return all the time. I forget how many times Jean Grey has died and returned in the comics. so, don't let it depress you too much!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Sean Storm said...

Milamber

WHEW! Thank you! I have not read any of the X-MEN comics, but I was aware that Jean Grey's metamorphisis into the Phoenix was part of the original comic series. So it's reassuring to know that there is a decease and return possibility here. But what saddened me was that I had heard rumors that this was going to be the last X-MEN movie (not to be confused with the planned WOLVERINE flick). So, if this was INDEED the last movie, then in the movie world these characters will forever be remembered as they are at the end of THE LAST STAND. That would be a bummer. HOWEVER, with that said, X-MEN: LAST STAND broke all sorts of records at the box office last weekend, so a fourth film may soon get a greenlight from the studio. LET'S HOPE!!!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Sean Storm said...

Exhack

Yes, I definitely find Iceman adorable. Not sure if you are aware, but the actor who plays him was also in the first 5 episodes of season 1 of VERONICA MARS.

I just wish Rogue and Iceman could have shared a big huge lip to lip kiss in the latest film.

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home